Sunday, February 05, 2006

Time for some introductions

It is now an indeterminable amount of time since I left England - days sort of seem to blur together here and I haven't managed to work out how to use a calendar yet. I can say with some degree of accuracy that today I wasn't in lectures and I was in church - of course that doesn't guarantee that I shouldn't have been in lectures and should have been in church, only that I wasn't.

Assuming that it's Sunday I have now completed my first week of official C4 lectures, been into the nearest big town (aka the real world) and had a weekend off. I have recovered marvellously from my illness thanks to the healthy Tasmanian air and lack of ozone layer, and I'm looking forwards to doing my first test tomorrow morning on the book of Haggai - true to form I haven't begun studying yet but I reckon how hard can it be? I have however completed a gruelling and rigorous set of investigations to share some facts about my southern hemisperian experiences:

1 - things in Tasmania are a lot cheaper than things in the UK - a fact somewhat lessened because I can't work whilst I'm here and so have less money, rendering the strength of the pound in the global economy somewhat irrelevant.

2 - people in Tasmania do not (despite certain vicious rumours) have more than one head or the incorrect amount of limbs. At least not the ones they allow out on the streets anyway.

3 - I attract a bizarre amount of strangeness - as yet there is no evidence to suggest why this might be.

4 - Austrlians have something they call 'chicken salt' (salt made from freeze dried chickens perhaps?)

5 - I have approximately a 50% golf swing/ball connection rate, a fairly good power to mass ratio, and absolutely no ability to aim.

6 - uploading photos to Flickr from this conection takes a little time.

And so on to other things whilst I wait:

The reason I like Tasmania (pop quiz): is it because golf here is (almost) free and no one minds if you can't play? Is it because the swimming pool is free and the weather is currently around the high 20s? Is it because Kemar has stopped getting up at a ridiculous time in the morning (in exchange for getting in at a ridiculous time in the evening)? Is it because the native animals here are cool? Is it because when I went to Launceston I found a park with monkeys in it? Is it because just before that I discovered that I had come half way around the world only to meet a dutch man called Ludo in Launceston high street leading an alpaca called Pablo by a leash? Is it because I live in some strange village with almost no contact with the rest of the world? Is it because Poatina normal tap water is in fact natural spring water?

Or is it because Poatina is a village sat halfway up the side of a mountain with amazing views - so far - great weather, lovely people, good food, great teaching and has houses that come equipped qith open fires and a plentiful supply of wood - what we like to call the bush.

Or last but not least is it because Australians (especially the women) are often suckers for a british accent and will often give you free things or be nice to you just because of the way you say things like 'scones'?
(The men by the way have an inferiority complex and so like to rip it out of you - but that's ok because I lived with Paul Lewis for a year and so my sarcastic wit has been sharpened in preparation)

Anyway, my photos are nearly uploaded now and so this blog entry must draw to a close. There is something important that I've forgotten to mention but I'm sure it will come to me in time.
Oh, and my luggage turned up in the end at Manchester airport - strange story apparently.

Alas my mind is still a blank so whatever it was can't have been that important or that funny. Check out my flikr page, there are now some photos on it. Love to y'all

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home