Monday, January 09, 2006

Miracles the first

So there I was. A little over 1 week to go and so far I don't have a visa, don't have all the money I need (as though God ever works that way), still don't really know what's going on, and have what feels like six million things to get done in the space of about 2 minutes. It is possible that a late night session of battlefront with my house mate and a small amount of disorganisation-induced stress have made me slightly unreasonable, but I don't think anyone has noticed yet.

The next big problem as Daniel Haigh so marvelously pointed out was that if I tried to enter a country on a one way ticket without a visa of any sort it would be entirely possible that I'd get arrested. Normally I'd stubbornly carry on, but the prospect of sitting in a jail cell indefinitely doesn't fill me with any significant amount of joy. As it happened I'd just managed to apply online for a student visa - thanks dad - with a minimal amount of fuss. Alas the fact that I had been told by a faceless internet system that it was good idea to attach the 'necessary documents' when I was under the impression that I didn't need any documents really hadn't helped matters. Anyway, with 5 and a half working days to go and an estimated processing time of 5-10 days (delays expected over christmas/new year period) it would be fair to say that I was depositing a certain amount of bricks, and looking forwards to a nice stretch of fasting.

It was with no small amount of surprise then that I checked my e-mail on Saturday evening (just after aforementioned 'illegal entry into the commonwealth of Australia' conversation), to find an e-mail confirming that the lovely Australians in Perth had granted me permission to enter and bring havoc to their country. Not only that but the cunning devils had done it overnight on a weekend - proof if needed that either slave labour is still enforced in our former colony or there truly is a God. Is an 8 hour overnight processed international visa an unlikely occurrence, or just run of the mill madness? Frankly I don' t think I mind, at least I wont get arrested or have to do any fasting. (A foolish thing to say - for those in the know).

And as if that wasn't enough I've been given almost a third of what I need (nevermind the flight) over the last week by some lovely people - you know who you are and I'm amazed by your generosity.
And I won at settlers - you losers know who you are too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home